URGENT! Contact Your Legislator Today!
Urgent Action Needed to Ensure FY15 Budget Invests in Community Care
The Illinois General Assembly is poised to take action on a critical issue this week that will decide the fate of community-based services and supports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities - whether or not they will vote to maintain existing income tax levels.
A vote to maintain existing income tax levels means revenues are available to maintain community-based services and supports as well as invest in priority areas. For example, the current budget plan would do the following:
- Provide a $1.00 per hour wage increase for direct service personnel working in community-based ID/DD agencies;
- Increase the personal needs allowance for residents of ICFDDs and CILAs to $60 per month (no increase since 1987); and
- Increase funding for Respite Services.
HOWEVER, no action by the General Assembly to maintain tax levels will eliminate these critical investments AND lead to severe and destructive cuts to community-based services!
To ensure your voice is heard and your support for community-based care is clearly communicated during these important days, we need you to call your state Senator and Representative IMMEDIATELY and urge them to take responsible action to preserve community-based services and supports!!
Below is a list the list of legislators with phone numbers we need you to call:
House Representative Elaine Nekritz – District 57
Springfield Office phone: (217) 558-1004
House Representative Robyn Gabel – District 18
Springfield Office phone: (217) 782-8052
House Representative Lou Lang – District 16
Springfield Office phone: (217) 782-1252
House Representative Greg Harris – District 13
Springfield Office phone: (217) 782-3835
Senator Heather Steans – District 7
Springfield Office phone: (217) 782-8492
When you call your legislator(s) you will likely speak to an assistant or staff member.
- Your name
- Your contact information
- The reason you are calling - i.e - family member of a person receiving services at Search, staff working at Search, etc.
Please make sure the assistant or staff member takes down the following specific messages from you:
- the current budget plan includes additional resources for areas important to me and my family, such as a $1.00 wage increase for DSPs, a rate increase for Respite Services and an increase in the personal needs allowance.
- these investments are critical to supporting community care;
- please vote to maintain existing income tax levels to ensure the state budget includes these priorities.
Please thank the assistant or staff member for taking the message and request a response from your legislator.
Thank you for taking action to support the best possible community care for people with intellectual disabilities!